The Archival Collection is comprised of the primary records of individuals, families and organizations typically from the local area and working in support of our Niagara Book Collection. These records can include diaries, correspondence, photographs, legal documents, original maps, sketches, reports and much more ranging from the earliest settlement of the Peninsula to the present time.

Sub-communities within this community

Collections in this community

Recent Submissions

  • White-Lind fonds, 1844-1964, n.d.

    Cameron, Chantal (2024-05-14)
    Fonds contains material related to the White and Lind families. Most of the fonds consists of photographs with some correspondence, news clippings, and ephemera, and is focused on Hannah Lind White & John White, and Irene Henderson White & Stanley White. There are also two letters addressed to William and John Lind from 1844 and 1845. The material was kept in the order it was received with the assigned labels.
  • Muster roll of a part of Captain Grant’s Company, 2nd Lincoln Militia employed in erecting works of defence on Queenston Heights, April-June [1814] [photocopies]

    Cameron, Chantal (2024-05-14)
    Two photocopies of muster rolls of Captain Grant’s Company, 2nd Regiment Lincoln Militia, employed in erecting works of defence on Queenston Heights. The first sheet is dated from April 27 to May 3 and includes names, ranks, period worked, total number of days, rate for each day and total amount. Names include John Morrison; Thomas Alexander; Richard Bond; Aaron Crane; William Eyckler; Robert Fralick; Jacob Gardner; Augustus House; Frederick House; Peter Hoover; Laurence Lemon; William McLellan; Frederick Near; Robert Pew; Lanty Shannon; Viart Vanwyck; Gilbert Vanwyck; Thomas Willson; Patrick Willson; Robert Willson; and William Weaver. The roll is signed by John Warren. There may be another surname after his name but it is not legible. The second sheet is dated from May 30 to June 2. Names include John Warren [?]; John Fralick; Jacob Killman; Richard Bond; Aaron Crane; William Eyckler; Jacob Gardner; D. Lemon; Frederick Near; Lanty Shannon; Viart Vanwyck; Thomas Willson; Robert Willson; John Upper [?]; Adam Spencer; Benjamin Corwin; William Gardner; Jacob Near; and Haggy Cook. The original documents are with Library and Archives Canada, War of 1812: Upper Canada Returns, Nominal Rolls and Paylists, RG 9 1B7.
  • Correspondence of Isaac D. Barnard, 1813-1836, n.d.

    Cameron, Chantal (2024-05-14)
    The collection consists mostly of correspondence written by or to Isaac D. Barnard. There are 57 letters, 10 manuscript receipts and promissory notes, and two printed circulars. Barnard was an American lawyer, solider, politician and Senator from West Chester, Pennsylvania. The letters provide information on his service during the War of 1812, legal career, his terms in the State Senate of Pennsylvania, and as a United States Senator. His service during the War of 1812 included Fort George, Plattsburg, and Lyon’s Creek [Cook’s Mills]. There are two letters in the collection dated during the War of 1812.
  • The history of a narrow escape of some white men from being tomahawked, scalped and robbed by Indians

    Cameron, Chantal (2024-05-14)
    A promotional pamphlet titled “An Indian Tradition: the history of a narrow escape of some white men from being tomahawked, scalped and robbed by Indians”. The first four pages of the pamphlet describe a thwarted ambush of a cattle drive from Niagara to Detroit at the end of the 18th century. William Wallace and three companions were warned of the ambush by a friendly Indigenous person named Jacob Big Tree. He also gave them a miraculous medicine that is advertised in the remaining 12 pages of the pamphlet. The medicine advertised is Brant’s Indian Pulmonary Balsam and Brant’s Indian Purifying Extract, touted to cure a host of ailments including consumption, whooping cough, inflammation of the lungs, ulcers, liver complaints, and female complaints.
  • Travel diary of Marguerite Treet “New York to Frisco and Back”, 1919

    Cameron, Chantal (2024-05-14)
    A travel diary belonging to Marguerite Treet of Hackensack, New Jersey, describing her trip from New York to San Francisco and back in 1919. The entries are dated from July 7, 1919 to November 18, 1919 and include descriptions of her activities, accommodations, sightseeing, meals, people she meets, and the state of her car. The trip takes her through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, then up to Alaska, back down to Oregon, and California, before heading back east through Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, West Virginia, and Maryland. The first few days of her trip take her from New York to Niagara Falls.
  • The Countryman newspaper with an account of Blondin’s tightrope crossing at Niagara Falls, October 6, 1862

    Cameron, Chantal (2024-05-14)
    An issue of The Countryman, October 6, 1862. The Countryman was a secessionist newspaper by J.A. Turner from Turnwold, Putnam County, Georgia. Turner printed the newspaper from his plantation. It mostly contains articles about art and culture rather than politics. This issue contains a first-hand account of Charles Blondin’s stunts when crossing the Niagara River on a tightrope. The account takes up approximately half of the first page and describes how Blondin lay down on the tightrope, balanced on his head, hung with one leg hooked over the rope, cooked an omelette on a sheet-iron stove and lowered it to passengers below on the Maid of the Mist. The writer concludes by giving a physical description of Blondin, noting that “he was rather small, but looked hard, wiry and muscular. His complexion was somewhat cadaverous, his hair, moustache, and goatee nearly white. This, I suppose, was their original color, and age had nothing to do with it, for he appeared to be about thirty years old”.
  • Lincoln County Clerk of the Peace Office Records, 1852-1889, n.d.

    Cameron, Chantal (2024-05-14)
    Records from the Lincoln County Clerk of the Peace Office dated from 1852 to 1889. The records include a bond between Peter Grant & Elias Hoover; a list of Constables costs; opinion of P. McCarthy, misdemeanor; bond between Nathan Johnston and Henry Culp; printed correspondence from the Office of the Peace sent to local Justices of the Peace; a complaint by Robert Lambert against Robert Moot; a complaint by Robert Wilson; a statement by Matthias Misener against James Blanchard; an oath by John Sparbeck; an oath by William Anderson; complaint of Thomas Scanlon; a warrant to apprehend Thomas Ullman; an oath by James Smith; complaint of James Anderson; oath of Andrew Parker; summons to John Chambers; oath of Lewis Shoalts; oath of Eli Robins; oath of Lafayette Dennis; oath of Nancy Ann Robins; oath of L.W. Dennis; oath of Walter Cavers; oath of John Johnston; oath of A.E. Thomas; oath of George Castle; oath of Alfred Wade; oath of Jeremiah Smith; oath and examination of John Smith; oath of William Walker; oath of Michael Johnson; oath of William Walker; oath of Christopher Misener; a series of motions in 1886 written on small scraps of paper; oath of Ella House; conviction of George Pitman for assault of Ella House; and oath of Charles Scott.
  • Beatties Stationary Fonds, 1836-2014, n.d.

    Cameron, Chantal (2024-05-03)
    Fonds contains material related to the activities of Niagara-based office-supply business Beatties. The company has operated under several names over the year including Izzard and Bixby Booksellers and Stationers, D.W. Bixby Books and Stationary, Bixby-Beattie Company, Beattie-Hill Ltd., Beattie Stationary Ltd. and Beatties. In addition to selling stationary, the store also had a lending library at one point. Numerous books are included in the fonds, as well as material related to the company’s operations and expansion including catalogues, promotional material, photographs, administrative records, and branded items. Some information about the Beatties family is also included, as well as several historic St. Catharines newspapers from the 1860s and 1870s that feature early advertisements for the business.
  • Snap-shots, Port Colborne

    Williams, Edie; Carl, Sharon (2024-03-21)
    Photo album and scrapbook containing many World War I era newspaper clippings and family photographs. The black and white photographs are of various subjects including the building of the Welland Canal, Niagara Falls, early aviation near Port Colborne, Nickel beach, homes in Port Colborne, and a photograph of an unknown engineer on the new Welland Canal. The photographs also include three individuals in black face. Please note: This collection contains imagery that reflects the time period when it was created and the view of its creator(s). This can include offensive and negative language, references, and stereotypes that are no longer used or appropriate today. The item(s) retain their original content to ensure that attitudes and viewpoints are not erased from the historical record. The Archives & Special Collections are actively working on including more respectful and representative language in our own descriptions now and into the future
  • License to practice medicine in the Province of Canada, granted to Lucius Sterne Oille, 1858

    Head, Sir Edmund Walker (1858)
    License to practice medicine in the Province of Canada, granted to Lucius Sterne Oille, by Sir Edmund Walker Head, Governor General of British North America, 1858.
  • Land indenture - Nicholas Oile, Township of Pelham, and his wife Eve Oile to George Oile of Pelham Township, 1815

    Land indenture, Nicholas Oile, Township of Pelham, and his wife Eve Oile to George Oile of Pelham Township, for 200 acres being, Lot 6 and 7, 1st Concession, Pelham Township, 1815.
  • Photograph Album, 1906-1911

    Vrooman, Marjorie (1906-1911)
    The pictures in the album were taken during the years 1906-1911. The first part of the album is based in the Clyde area. Clyde is a village in the town of Galen in Wayne County, N.Y. The village is located on the Clyde River between Rochester and Syracuse. There is a Syracuse pennant in a couple of photographs and the Parkside Restaurant is featured in one photo. A photograph of “The old home” as well as the gates of a private garden show an Italianate style home. The Vroomans resided on N. Park Street in Clyde. “Five cents a ride – One of Clyde’s wonders” is written under a photograph of the Rochester, Syracuse and Eastern Trolley Station, Clyde, N.Y. Most of the people in the pictures are identified by nickname or first name only. One of the photographs is captioned “school days (book-worms) C.H.S.” The initials probably stand for Clyde-Savannah High School. “Dr.” is the caption under a picture of an older man. This is Marjorie’s father, Dr. Walter Roselle Vrooman. Dr. Vrooman practiced dentistry at the Burton Block in Clyde. He was born in Illinois, but his family moved to Canada where his father was engaged in the mercantile business. Walter Vrooman was educated at St. Catharines Collegiate. He graduated from Toronto Normal School and taught in Ontario. He then went to Toronto University where graduated from the Dental Department. He was 32 when he married Jessie and moved to her hometown of Clyde. “Jessie” is the caption on a picture of an older woman. Jessie Bender L’Amoreaux Vrooman was Marjorie’s mother. Included are photos of the Clyde River and a bridge which is quite possibly the Clyde Bridge.
  • Memorandum to Shareholders of Lincoln Hotel Company Limited, 1957

    A memorandum to shareholders of the Lincoln Hotel Company Limited. The document includes a brief financial history of the property from its time as the Grand Central Hotel Company Limited to the 1950s.
  • Supplementary Letters Patent - Lincoln Hotel Company Limited, 15 October 1945

    Dunbar, George Harrison (1945-10-15)
    A supplementary Letters Patent from the Province of Ontario for the Lincoln Hotel Company Limited.
  • Lincoln Hotel Company Financial Statement, 1931

    The financial statement for Lincoln Hotel Company for the year 1931.
  • Grand Central Hotel and Sanatorium Company, Accounts, 1927

    H.T. Jamieson and Company Chartered Accountants (1927)
    A financial statement for 1927 including revenue and expenditures, assets and liabilities for the Grand Central Hotel and Sanatorium Company.
  • Resolutions and Minutes of Grand Central Hotel and Sanatorium Company, Expenditures, January 1900

    Grand Central Hotel and Sanatorium Company Secretary Treasurer's Office (1900)
    The report of the Board of Directors of the Grand Central Hotel and Sanatorium Company to the shareholders. The report includes a list of changes to the façade of the hotel as well as the addition of a ladies reception room. Some of the expenditures include: Interest on Loan, Insurance, Repairs, Betterments, Furniture, etc.
  • Letter from John S. Campbell to F.R. Woods and Company, 20 March 1905

    Campbell, John S. (1905-03-20)
    A letter from John S. Campbell to F.R. Woods Company Real Estate in New York, N.Y. The letter indicates that Campbell is attempting to sell the Grand Central Hotel property. He is attempting to sell the property to "close the Estate of the late Dr. Oille former owner". The price is listed in the letter at $20,000. Included is a response from F.R. Woods Real Estate, stating that they would like to receive more information regarding the property and they would like to know if Campbell would accept "New York property in exchange".
  • Description of the Grand Central Hotel and Sanitorium Company Property, n.d.

    Description of the Grand Central Hotel and Sanitorium Company property on St. Paul Street. Includes a map and sketch showing the footprint of area bounded by St. Paul Street, Chestnut Street and Head Street and includes the Central Fire Hall. There is no date indicated on the sketches or description.
  • Letters Patent Changing Names from the Grand Central Hotel and Sanitorium Company of St. Catharines Limited to Lincoln Hotel Company Limited, 8 March 1928

    Letters patent, for the purpose of changing names from the Grand Central Hotel and Sanitorium Company of St. Catharines Limited, to Lincoln Hotel Company Limited, 8 March 1928.

View more