MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistoric map showing the First and Second Welland Canal from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario at Port Dalhousie along with proposed changes to the course. North is oriented to the right at Lake Ontario. The map has been broken down into sections. The “Section First” is noted as; “comprising from Lake Ontario, to the Village of Thorold, & c., Distance, Nine Miles and Sixty one Chains, admeasurement.” A notation indicates that proposed improvements and deviations are shown in red tinting. Canal locks, lift elevations, swing bridges, tow paths, basins and dams are indicated. Cities and towns are marked along the canal as are some buildings and mills. Various notations are made on the map including the state of repair of each lock. Relief and the Niagara Escarpment is shown with shading.
Authorship indicated: "Surveyed by F. P. Rubidge DP.S under the direction of Civil Engineers N. H. Baird and H. H. Killaly.”
Scale: 4 chains to 1 inch ; 1:3,168
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-11848. Original map size 59 x 549 cm. Black and white copy available in the Map, Data and GIS Library at Call Number G 3462 W45 1837 R822.
Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168620 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.