Topographical map of the country lying between Allanburgh and Port Dalhousie shewing the position of the new Welland Canal, its locks, weirs, basins, and other works
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistoric map showing the routes of the Second and Third Welland Canal as well as supply basins, raceways, weirs and the position of the locks on the Third Canal. North is oriented to the right. “Sheet “C”” is typed at the head of the title. A notation below the title reads: “Reduced from Surveys made in 1870-1”. Also shown on the map are townships, the escarpment, ravines, creeks, and roads. Port Dalhousie is shown at Lake Ontario. The light house is labelled as is the harbor, Welland Raceway Terminus and the entrance lock to the Welland Canal. The Welland Railway line is shown going from Port Dalhousie, through St. Catharines to Allanburg. Concessions and lots are shown, some labelled with numbers and some with landowner’s names. Beaverdams Creek and a St. Catharines Water Works reservoir are shown south-west of St. Catharines. Relief is shown by shading. Handwritten on verso: "H2/410 - Welland Canal - 1879".
Authorship indicated: Monro, Thomas. John Page, Chief engineer Canals. Lithographed by Burland Lithographic Co. Montreal.
Scale: [ca. 1:15,240]
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection. Original map size 59 x 91 cm. Black and white paper reproduction is available in Brock University MDGL. Call Number: G 3462 W45 1879 M65
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.