Show simple item record

dc.contributorMarcus Smith, 1815-1904.
dc.coverage.spatial(W 79{486} 15'00"/N 43{486} 10'00")
dc.date.accessioned2016-06-14T15:02:32Z
dc.date.accessioned2016-10-11T17:25:35Z
dc.date.available2016-06-14T15:02:32Z
dc.date.available2016-10-11T17:25:35Z
dc.date.issued1852
dc.identifier.govdocNMC-16796
dc.identifier.govdocNMC-11436
dc.identifier.otherG 3464 S35 1852 S65
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10464/10620
dc.description.abstractHistorical map of the Town of St. Catharines, Canada West, 1852. Below the title is a paragraph describing St. Catharines, the importance of the Welland Canal, historical facts about its engineering and the vessels that passed through it at that time. The section of St. Catharines shown on the map includes St. Thomas’ Ward and St. Georges Ward. The first and second Welland Canals as well as locks 3-6 are shown. 12 Mile Creek and Dicks Creek are visible, both of which connect to the Welland Canal. Streets are labelled and lots are labelled with the name of the land owner. Some lots have visible lot numbers as well as buildings. Of importance are sections of land labelled as being owned by some of the prominent founding citizens of St. Catharines, including: Honourable William H. Merritt, Lewis Shikaluna [sic], Thomas R. Merritt, James R. Benson, Calvin Phelps, Elias S. Adams, Jacob Hainer, and J. P. Merritt. Lots and concessions are labelled without land owners indicated on the parcels of land surrounding the more populated section of St. Catharines. Road allowances are labelled at the north, south and west sides of the town. The Great Western Railway is shown at the south-west corner. A compass rose at the right side of the map indicates north. Text at the bottom left of the map indicates that it was lithographed at: “A. Kollner’s Lithc. Establt. Phila.” Relief is shown by hachures and landform drawings.
dc.description.abstractAt the bottom right corner of the map is a sketch of the St. Catharines Town Hall which is still (2018) located at the corner of King and James Streets.
dc.description.abstractAuthorship is indicated: “Marcus Smith”
dc.description.abstractScale: 20 chains to 1300 feet ; [1:2,400]
dc.description.abstractDigital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection, NMC-16796. Black and white version NMC-11436.
dc.description.abstractGeoreferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
dc.formatScale [ca. 1:2,400]
dc.format.extent65 x 123 cm.
dc.publisher[S.l.] : Marcus Smith,
dc.rightsNo restrictions. Recommended attribution: Digital map reproduction provided by: Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library
dc.subjectCanada
dc.subjectOntario
dc.subjectNiagara
dc.subjectSt. Catharines
dc.subjectWelland Canals
dc.subjectHistorical
dc.subjectmap
dc.subjecttown
dc.subjectcanal
dc.titleMap of the town of St. Catharines, Canada West
dc.typemap
dc.coverage.boxnorthlimit=43.170509; westlimit=-79.263929; southlimit=43.144583; eastlimit=-79.221227en_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record