AbstractThis historical map of Fort Erie is noted to have been “enclosed in Romilly’s letter to Lieutenant General Drummond, dated Chippawa 10 Nov 1814”. (This notation is taken from Library and Archives Canada therefore it is possible that the letter itself is in their possession). Samuel Romilly’s title was Captain Royal Engineers. The letter describes the conditions of the fortifications after a battle (during the War of 1812). The map itself is dated 11 Nov 1814.
The map shows Fort Erie which sits adjacent to Lake Erie. North is to the right as indicated with the compass arrow. Shown south of the fort is an unnamed road that leads to Snake Hill. Between the fort and Snake Hill are two lines labelled: “Line Destroyed”. A legend in the bottom write corner describes the details shown on the map which include: the old fort, new fort and lines, palisades, lines destroyed, log buildings and abbalis (sic). A large wooded area is shown to the west and a waterway in the north which is not labelled. The map is signed by author Samuel Romilly. Relief is shown by hachures. "C.S.O. 11 Nov 1814, c.686-p.143" written in bottom left corner. Written in pencil on verso: F/440 - Fort Erie - 1814.
Authorship indicated: Samuel Romilly.
Scale: [ca. 1:4,300]
Digital photoreproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-70956. Manuscript original size: 8 ¼ x 12 ¾. Black and white paper reproduction is available in Brock University MDGL. Call Number: G 3464 F67 R1 1814 F67
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 711.