MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistoric map showing “The Niagara Frontier”, situated south of Lake Ontario, north of Lake Erie and west of the United States. The Niagara River divides Canada and the United States. At the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario, Fort Mississagua (sic) in Canada and Fort Niagara in the U.S. can be seen. Further west along the shore of Lake Ontario, the town of Port Dalhousie is labelled. The Second Welland Canal can be seen extending from Port Dalhousie to Port Colborne. Fort Erie is shown at the mouth of the River at Lake Erie and is labelled: “Fort Erie (in Ruins)”. Other details on the map include towns, wooded areas, creeks, roads and railways. Some buildings are marked such as; inn’s, schools and churches. Relief is shown by shading.
Included on the map is an index to military sites and proposed sites on the map which are identified by letters. Sites mentioned are: proposed place of arms on the Short Hills, proposed work at Fort Erie, proposed battery opposite Black Rock, proposed battery at the mouth of Chippewa Creek, entrenched camp and temporary batteries on Queenstown (sic) Heights, Fort Mississagua, proposed works at Port Dalhousie and Port Colborne, and entrenched position at Thorold.
Identifying text on the map is as follows: “Plan No. 8 To accompany Report of Commission on Defences of Canada” and “From Sketches by Captn. Sotherd & Lieut’t. Price Rl. Engineers.”
Authorship indicated: Richard Hugh Stotherd and Lieutenant Price, Royal Engineers.
Scale: 1 inch to 1 mile ; [1:63,360]
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-26837. Map image in JPEG format.
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 278 (Plan 8) and Reference no.: 283 (2)