The system is in read only mode until at least the end of July 16th. Please check here for further details.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistoric map showing Military Reserve land and fortification in Niagara (Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented to the bottom right. The Niagara River is shown to the east of Niagara. Military bases including Fort George, Fort Mississaugua and Butler’s Barracks are shown. Both the ruins of Fort George and the rebuilt Fort George are present. Commandant Quarters, an Indian Council House, Navy Hall, and Engineer establishment are also marked. Old military lines and the boundary of military land are marked. Town boundaries are shown but no details are shown on the land that is not related to the military. Relief is shown by hachures.
Text below the title is as follows: “N.B. Buildings, portions of Ground, Stained Yellow are Encroachments.” The map is signed by both authors in Niagara, 1819.
This map had accompanied a letter from Colonel Durnford and Lieutenant Colonel Bruyeres regarding encroachments on the military reserve. Source: Library and Archives Canada.
Authorship indicated: Arthur Walpole and Henry Vavasour.
Scale: 300 feet to 1 inch ; [ca. 1:3,887]
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-22531. Black and white paper reproduction is available in Brock University MDGL. Call Number: G 3464 N55 R4 1819 W35.
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 1683.