MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistoric map showing an area of land in Fort Erie, extending to the Village of Waterloo. North is oriented to the top right. A ship canal is shown from Fort Erie to the Village of Waterloo running adjacent to Lake Erie and the Niagara River. Rapids are noted in the Niagara River as are characteristics of the river bottom and soundings. Fort Erie, military lines and other buildings can be seen along the canal and Snake hill is shown at the south. The Erie Canal and a railroad are shown on the American side of the Niagara River.
An inset at the top of the map is a cross section of the canal and is labelled: “Section of the line of Canal as originally laid out.” A further notation reads as follows: “Width in Rock 66 feet at surface & 60 at Bottom. In alluvia (?) 106 at surface & 60 at bottom.” The map is signed by the author: “Tho.- Roy.” Relief shown by hachures.
Authorship indicated: Thomas Roy.
Scale: 400 feet to 1 inch ; [ca. 1:8,888]
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-21732. Black and white paper reproduction is available in Brock University MDGL. Call Number: G 3464 F67 P53 1837 R69
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 765. (2)