Plan and Section of a Ship Canal from Lake Erie to the Niagara River at the Village of Waterloo
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistoric map showing an area of land in Fort Erie, extending to the Village of Waterloo. North is oriented to the top right. A ship canal is shown from Fort Erie to the Village of Waterloo running adjacent to Lake Erie and the Niagara River. Rapids are noted in the Niagara River as are characteristics of the river bottom and soundings. Fort Erie, military lines and other buildings can be seen along the canal and Snake hill is shown at the south. Military reserve land is marked as are military boundary lines. The Erie Canal and a railroad from Buffalo to Blackrock are shown on the American side of the Niagara River.
An inset at the top of the map is a cross section of the canal and is labelled: “Section of the line of Canal as first laid out.” A further notation reads as follows: “The figures over the section shew the elevation of the ground in feet and inches above the level of Lake Erie. The figures below show the distances – Total Distance 8567 feet.” Also near the section is the note: Niagara River, 3 feet 1.25 inches lower than Lake Erie.” The map is signed by the author: “Thos. Roy, Civil Engineer.”
Authorship indicated: Thomas Roy.
Scale: 400 feet to 1 inch ; 1:4,800
Scale of Elevation: 48 feet to 1 inch ; 1:576
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-21731. Map image in JPEG format.
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 765.