AbstractHistoric map showing the Niagara District bordered by Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and the United States. North is oriented to the left at Lake Ontario. At the head of the title is: “No.42”. Below the title is an ink stamp which reads: “Commanding R. Engineer’s Office No. 95”. Towns are indicated along with waterways and roads. The route of the Second Welland Canal connecting Lakes Erie and Ontario. Some buildings are shown and labelled including; mills, taverns, schools, and farms. Military forts are labelled at the mouth of the river at Lake Ontario as well as the mouth of the river at Lake Erie. Natural features are also indicated such as the Niagara Escarpment, Niagara Falls, swamps and wooded areas. Relief is shown by shading and hachures. Unsettled sections of land are also labelled.
Stamp on verso of Map Library's copy: "National Map Collection, Public Archives of Canada". Written in pencil: "VI/407-1840 - 2 sections"
Authorship indicated: Benjamin Spicer Stehelin.
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-21590. Original map size 58 x 77 cm. Black and white paper reproduction is available in Map, Data and GIS Library at Call Number: G 3462 N53 1840 S84.
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 784.