No. 8. Sketch of the Isthmus or Belt of Niagara shewing the situation of the New Fortress
AbstractHistoric map showing the Niagara Peninsula and depicts the site for a proposed fortress / military establishment at the Short Hills, on top of the escarpment in Pelham Township. North is oriented to the top towards Lake Ontario and the Niagara River and the United States is shown to the east. Boundaries, hydrological features, “Indian Lands” and towns are shown. The ridge of the Niagara Escarpment is labelled as the “Great Ridge” and height measurements are indicated as being from 4 to 500 feet. The route of the First Welland Canal is shown before the extension to Gravelly Bay, as well as part of the Feeder Canal before its completion, and other proposed routes for canals to Lake Ontario. Relief is shown by hachures.
Markings include: "BB53", in the top right margin, and “VI/407-1827” indicating this was from the Public Archives of Canada. The map also bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications.
Authorship indicated: Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle and Elias Walker Furnford.
Scale: [ca. 1:126,600]
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-21588. Black and white paper reproduction is available in Brock University MDGL. Call Number: G 3462 N53 1827 B655.
Signed in bottom margin: "Rl. Engrs. Office, quebec, 20th Novr. 1827. E.W. Durnford, Col. Comg. Rl. Engineers, Canada."
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 736.