Military Sketch of part of the Shore of Lake Ontario between Hamilton and Port Dalhousie
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistoric map showing land and shore from St. Catharines to Hamilton along Lake Ontario, with north oriented to the bottom. A legend next to the title outlines details of the map. Shown on the map are sections of cleared land and wooded land as well as waterways such as creeks and the Welland Canal. Also shown on the map are marsh grounds, churches and meeting houses, stone or brick houses, wooden houses, forges, the Great Western Railway, and roadways. A notation on the map reads: “The Country East of 20 Mile Creek is from a sketch by Captain Stoutherd RE. made in 1862.” The map is signed: “Henry Malet, Captain & Lt. Colonel, 1st Batta. Green (?) Guards 1863.” The Niagara Escarpment is shown in dark black shading. Relief is also shown by shading.
Authorship indicated: Henry Malet, R. H. (Richard Hugh) Stotherd.
Scale: 1 inch to 1 mile ; [ca. 1:63,360]
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-21066. Black and white paper reproduction is available in Brock University MDGL. Call Number: G 3462 N53 1863 M34.
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 283 (3a)