Plan of part of the Town of Niagara shewing the lots in the vicinity of the Market Place belonging to the Government
AbstractHistoric plan showing 26 town blocks in Niagara, divided into lots, some of which are numbered. The plan is oriented with north to the bottom. Below the title is a list of lots noted as: “List of Lots laid out near market square shewing the annual rent paid for each to the Magistrates". Further text describes the plan: “The Block comprised in Lots 65, 66, 103 & 104 was originally granted to Mr. W.D. Smith, formerly Surveyor General of this Province. It was purchased from him for the site of a Govt. house. Since 1815 the part shaded yellow has been granted to the Magistrates. The part shaded Red still belongs to Govt. And for one half of this, the sum of £80 H.C. has been offered, as shewn by the Blue Lines.” The following streets are present on the plan: Gage Street, Johnson Street, Queen Street, Prideau Street, and King’s Street. In the north-west the plan shows a “Reserve near Missuagua (sic)”. A waterway is shown with a single line cutting through the land, but it is not labeled. Noted on the plan is that information was taken from Land Petitions B2 no 92 1842. The plan is signed by its authors.
Authorship indicated: George Phillpotts.
Scale: No scale shown.
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-19555. Map image in JPEG format. Digital image from the CD-ROM entitled "Historic maps of the Niagara Peninsula from 1787-1864, acquired 2005" available in the Map Library at call number Map PC G 3462 N53 1864 L53 2005.
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 1688.