MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistoric map showing the area from 15 Mile Creek to Chippawa Creek at the Niagara River. North is oriented to the bottom at Lake Ontario. The escarpment is shown by shading. The map also shows roads, some houses which are labelled by the settler’s name, waterways, churches, mills, forts and battle sites. The Niagara River, Niagara Falls and Navy Island is shown to the east. Fort Niagara and Fort Schlosser are shown on the American side of the river and Fort George on the Canadian side.
An inset map is titled: “Sketch of an Action fought on the night of the 25th July 1814 near the Falls of Niagara between a British Force under Lieut’t. General Drummond an American Force under Mar. General Brown.” The inset shows the Battle of Lundy’s Lane, War of 1812, with the position of troops. An “Explanation” provides a legend of the symbols used on the inset for both the 1st and 2nd military positions.
A notation in the bottom left corner reads as follows: “Accompanying Lt. Colonel Hughes letter to Lt. General [Mann] dated 16th August 1814”. "VI/407-1814" written in pen on back bottom right corner. The map bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortification.
Authorship indicated: G. A. Eliott.
Scale: 1 mile to 1 inch ; 1:63,360
Inset Map Scale: 1 mile to 6 inches ; 1:10,560
Includes 1 inset: "Sketch of an action fought on the night of the 25th July 1814 near the Falls of Niagara between a British Force under Lieut. General Drummond & an American Force under Majr. General Brown ..." with a legend of the "4th position".
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-18559. Black and white paper reproduction is available in Brock University MDGL. Call Number: G 3462 N53 1814 E551
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 701 (2)