Old Fort Niagara
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistorical map showing the Town of Newark (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake), west of the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the Bottom right. A proposed fort is shown at Mississauga Point. Buildings within the fort are labelled alphabetically, which correspond to a description of each building in the reference text below the title. The fort was to include the following: casemated cavalier, barracks for 700 men, guard house, solitary cells, orderly rooms, store house, bomb proof magazine, officers’ quarters, tower, battery’s, and a furnace for heating shot. Further south Fort George is shown as it was before the war and as it was after being altered by the Americans. A trench is shown extending from Fort George north and ending at a church. Text within the trench reads: “American Entrenchments thrown up in 1813.” Shown between the two forts, on the bank of the river are lots for merchants, shops and yards as well as engineer’s quarters. On the American side of the river, Fort Niagara is shown with buildings labelled alphabetically. A description titled: “State of Fort Niagara in February 1815” provides further details about each building. The map also indicates soundings for the Niagara River and Lake Ontario. At the right side of the map is a section titled: Section through ABCD.” Relief is shown by shading.
Authorship indicated: John Smyth
Scale: 1 inch to 200 feet ; [1: 2,400]
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-17884.
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 1679.