Queenston-Lewiston Suspension Bridge
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistoric map showing the Village of Queenston, which sits on the west bank of the Niagara River within the County of Lincoln, Township of Niagara. Subtitle text reads as follows: “Plan shewing the Boundaries as marked, on the ground, of the Military Reserve belonging to the Ordnance, at the Village of Queenston, Township of Niagara, County of Lincoln, Canada West, as Surveyed by Mr. William Hawkins, Provincial Land Surveyor, in the months of Decr, 1853 & Jany and February 1854.” Below this text is a table of contents, reference table, scale charts and a textual description of the map. North is oriented to the right.
Also shown are boundaries, lots and concessions and roads. Written in some of the lots are lengthy descriptions of the land, details about land allowances, boundaries and any further information that relates to that specific lot. Some portions of land are also labelled with the land owners name. The location of a suspension bridge across the Niagara River is indicated. Forested areas are shown and relief is shown by shading.
At the left side of the map is the following: “We the undersigned Proprietors whose names are herunto affixed, do agree to the Boundaries as established by Mr. William Hawkins, Provincial Land Surveyor:”. Below the text are lines for signatures. No signatures are present. "H1/440 1854 Queenston"--written in ink in top right margin.
Map is signed authors: "William Hawkins, Provincial Land Surveyor, Toronto, 31 July, 1854” as well as: "Alex. Gordon Lieut. Colonel Dist. Commg. Rl. Engr. C.W., Kingston, 30th October, 1854." Verified by: “ (?) A. Wilkinson: Lieut. R.E. 31 July 1854.”
Authorship indicated: William Hawkins
Scale: [ca. 1:6,451]
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-11434. Original map size 44 x 77 cm. Photoreproduction, reduced in size from original. Black and white copy available in the Map, Data and GIS Library at Call Number: G 3464 Q84 1854 H39.
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 189 (18)