MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistoric map showing military land and reserves at Fort George in Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented to the bottom right. Original explanatory text below the title “NIAGARA” had been scratched out, below which is further explanatory text, which reads as follows: “The portion tinted Red, containing about 96 Acres to be retained by the Ordnance. The portion edged Vermilion containing about 117 Acres is proposed to be given up for the settlement of the Pensioners, but the Southern boundaries being still in dispute, only the portion tinted yellow can at present be handed over to Lt. Col. Tullock to be settled at his discretion – The portion tinted Purple may be used by the Pensioners for Pasturage only, the limit may extend further to the N.E. when the boundary is settled with the Dock Co.- “, signed R. Pilkington Draftsman. The map bears the stamp of the Office of the Commanding Royal Engineer’s Canada.
Shown on this map is the Niagara River to the east. The “Ruins of Fort George” is indicated with various buildings, roads and notations. Further south is the Command Quarters and Garrison Hospital both of which sit on the Garrison Reserve. Also shown at south adjacent to King Street is Butlers Barracks with multiple out-buildings which are labelled. Along the southernmost border of this map are portions of land labelled by the owner’s name.
Of further interest is a line indicating the proposed location for a telegraph line to be installed, with the following text: “Telegraph Posts B.O. 28 April 1847 [?] per annum.” South of the telegraph line is the location for a proposed Erie & Ontario Railroad which would run across the Garrison Reserve.
Authorship indicated: R. I. Pilkington
Scale: 4 chains to 1 inch ; [ca. 1:3,260]
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-4215. Original map size 50 x 62 cm. Black and white copy available in the Map, Data and GIS Library at Call Number: G 3464 N55 R4 1853 P55.
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 1702.