AbstractHistoric map showing Fort Erie and various notations regarding military lines, battles and fortifications. North is oriented to the right. The Niagara River is located east of the land shown on the map, however it is not labelled. The military Fort Erie is shown slightly west of “Gov’ Wharf” and the Niagara River. A line running south from Fort Erie is labelled “American Lines”. Notations at the north side of the map indicate the location of an “English Attack” and two Battery’s. A blockhouse is shown at west near the location of the English attack. There are multiple notations written on the map, including: "Royal Engineers' Drawing Room, Quebec. 31st Jan. 1818, A. Walpole, Rl. Engrs." In the bottom right corner and signatures of the authors. Forested areas and vegetation are shown and relief is shown with hachures.
Further information about this map indicates that it had been "Enclosed in Durnford's letter of 31 Jan 1818 to Lt Col Addison about rebuilding of wharves ... shows the fort and various batteries and fortifications in the area and buildings on the shore road"--Mapping Upper Canada 1780-1876 / by Joan Winerals.
Authorship indicated: Elias Walker Durnford and A. Walpole
Scale: 400 feet to 1 inch ; 1:4,800
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-3804. Map image in JPEG format. Digital image from the CD-ROM entitled "Historic maps of the Niagara Peninsula from 1787-1864, acquired 2005" available in the Map Library at call number Map PC G 3462 N53 1864 L53 2005.
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 1341.