The system is in read only mode until at least the end of July 16th. Please check here for further details.
Plan of the Country round Fort Erie shewing the entrenchments etc. thrown up by the enemy in August 1814
AbstractHistoric plan showing the military Fort Erie and surrounding forested area. North is oriented to the right. Lake Erie, although not labelled, is located east of Fort Erie. The military Fort Erie is shown with the two barracks in red ink. Multiple other buildings line the banks of the Niagara River, however only the wharf is labelled. Snake Hill is shown at south and forested land is shown surrounding the fort. Sections of the plan are labelled with letters which correlate to the reference key index located in the top right corner of the map. References indicate that some sections of the plan refer to military action during the War of 1812, including; “Entrenchments thrown up by the Enemy connecting Fort Erie & Snake Hill”, and “Abbatis made by the Enemy round 1st (?) positions.” Some portions of the key are illegible. The plan is signed: “Position the 8th Aug. 1814 Php. Hughes (?) Rl. Eng.” Text written in the bottom right corner reads: “With a letter to Lt. Genl. Mann dated Montreal 7 Oct. 1814”. Relief is shown by hachures.
Authorship indicated: Phillip Hughes, Royal Engineers
Scale: shown but illegible.
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-3803. Map image in JPEG format. Digital image from the CD-ROM entitled "Historic maps of the Niagara Peninsula from 1787-1864, acquired 2005" available in the Map, Data and GIS Library at call number Map PC G 3462 N53 1864 L53 2005.
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 704.