Plan Showing the Condition of the Chippewa Cut Before and After the Late Improvements
AbstractHistoric map showing the First and Second Welland Canal where the Welland River (Chippewa Creek) joins the Niagara River. The Chippewa cut is shown running adjacent to and Hog Island. A line of piles is marked in the Chippewa Cut. Also shown is a barracks. A notation at the top of Hog Island within the Welland River reads: “Proposed piers level with waters surface. Intended to diminish velocity of current through cut by reducing quantity of water discharged”.
Text below the title reads: “The black lines showing the Condition of The Harbour in 1844 – The Blue representing the improvements Already effected (1845). The Red pointing out such as will still be necessary to render the harbor Easy of Access. The soundings marked in Red were taken under the direction of Capt. Boxer C.B. R.N 7th Sept. 1845.” Signed by author W. C. E. Holloway. Stamp on verso of Map Library's copy: "Map Division, Aug 26 1969, Public Archives of Canada." "H3/440-Chippewa-1846" written in pencil on verso."
Authorship indicated: W. C. E. Holloway
Scale: [ca. 1:9,615]
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-3771. Original map size 43 x 53 cm. Black and white copy available in the Map, Data and GIS Library at Call Number: G 3462 W45 1845 H65.
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 149 (27)