AbstractHistoric map showing the First and Second Welland Canal routes where the Chippewa River enters the Niagara River. Text below the title reads: ‘Shewing its Condition in May 1844 The improvements executed during that season and those which will hereafter be required to render the harbor safe and easy of access.” One route of the Welland Canal shown on the map is labelled: “Chippewa Cut”. Adjacent to the Chippewa Cut is a line labelled: “Line of proposed improvement.” Two notations relevant to the improvements of the canal are as follows: “The Blue Line shows the work executed during the season of 1844. The Red Line shows the future improvements required.” The location of an “Old Fort” is shown on Hog Island. Extending into the Niagara river from Hog Island is a formation labelled: “Mould formed by materials Excavated from Cut.” A “Line of Piles” is shown extending from the Niagara River, through the Chippewa Cut to the Chippewa river at the location of proposed piers. A barracks is shown on the land adjacent to the Chippewa River. Depths shown by soundings can be seen in the Chippewa River. There is a lengthy description of the map at the right side of the map map which is signed by S. Powers.
“No.18” is written in the top left corner and "589" is printed in bottom corner margins. Stamp on verso of Map Library's copy: "National Map Collection, Public Archives of Canada, Aug 20, 1979." "H 3/440 - Chippawa - 1844" written in pen on verso, and "NMC 3770" written in pen.
Authorship indicated: Samuel Powers
Scale: 100 feet to 1 inch ; [ca. 1:1,200]
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-3770. Original map size 33 x 41 cm. Photo reproduction. Black and white copy available in the Map, Data and GIS Library at Call Number: G 3462 W45 1844 W45
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 796.