Map of Niagara River at the City of Buffalo Shewing proposed Bridge Crossings & Ship Canal
Maclear & Co.
MetadataShow full item record
Historic map showing a portion of the Niagara River beginning at Lake Erie and ending at Squaw Island. North is indicated with a compass arrow. Black Rock Harbour is shown to the East of Squaw Island and the Niagara River. The proposed Welland Ship Canal route is shown on the British side of the river with a text notation: “Ship Canal proposed as compensation for the destruction of River Navigation.” Buffalo, the Erie Canal and Buffalo Harbour are shown on the American side of the river. Depth is shown by soundings. Channel widths are also noted and the direction of water flow is indicated with arrows. Two river crossings are shown and are labelled: “Site of Bridge No. 1” north of Fort Erie, and “Site of Bridge No. 2” at Fort Erie. At the mouth of the Niagara River is a section labelled: “Horse Shoe Reef” with a notation: “Flashing Light erected under Treaty.”Authorship is indicated: Maclear & Co. Lithographers, Toronto CW.Scale: No scale shown.National Map Collection: NMC-3171.Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.Map image in JPEG format.Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 821.