AbstractHistoric plan showing the Niagara River and land to the east and west sides of the river. North is oriented to the right at Lake Ontario and Lake Erie is shown at south. At Lake Onario, Fort Niagara and Mississague (sic) Point are shown. Other forts and points of interest are noted however much of the land is labelled as wooded area. Roads are labelled as are islands within the river. Relief is shown by hachures.
Plan includes two inset maps, one of Fort Erie and one of Chippawa. The inset of Fort Erie shows the location of the military Fort Erie which sits adjacent to the Niagara River. Letters correspond with reference information, indicating the different aspects of the structure. The inset of Chippawa shows the area where the Chippawa River meets the Niagara River. Buildings are shown, some of which are labelled numerically. The numbers correspond to descriptions of the buildings provided in the reference section. All buildings labelled are military.’
Plan was included in Sir George Prevost no 170 to Earl of Bathurst 12 July 1814 recording the loss of Fort Erie and defeat at Chippawa. Stamp on verso of Map Library's copy: "Public Archives of Canada, Map Division"
"QS 76" written in bottom right corner.
Oriented with north to the left.
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-3170. Original map size 66 x 46 cm. Black and white copy available in the Map, Data and GIS Library at Call Number: G 3312 N52 1814 P53.
Authorship is not indicated.
Written in pencil in top margin: "H3/407 Niagara ca. 1814"
Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 697.