Fort Erie, Bertie, plan of Military Reserve
W. T. Renwick
Anthony Reynolds Vyvian Crease
MetadataShow full item record
Historical map created for the Buffalo Railroad Company in 1852 to outline a proposed new railroad in Fort Erie, which would cut through military reserve land. Text below the title reads: “Land applied for by the Brantford & Buffalo Railroad Company coloured yellow and green 2368 feet in length. Line of proposed railroad marked in yellow across the reserve. Part coloured green applied for by Mr. Thomson for the purposes of extending his mill race & other improvements."The map shows an expanse of land located to the north of Lake Erie, noted as being a Military Reserve, “supposed content 1000 acres.” Ruins of the Old Fort Erie military base are clearly marked and measurements are provided in yards indicated with a dotted line surrounding the ruins beginning at the lake to the east of the base and circling around to end at the lake to the west of the base. The “Brantford & Buffalo Railroad”, the “Second proposed line of the Buffalo and Brantford Railway” and a proposed railway depot are clearly marked. Adjacent to the ruins is the proposed ship canal. A “Boundary Stone” is marked where Concession Road, Garrison Road and the two railroads meet. Lot numbers are marked outside of the military reserve area as is Mr. Thomson’s land and roadways. Other landmarks include Lewis’ Hotel, Ferry Wharf, mill site, and smaller unlabeled buildings. Various handwritten notations are on the map including the speed of rapids in Lake Erie “10 miles an hour”.Authorship indicated: “W. T. Renwick”, “Anthony Reynolds Vyvian Crease”Scale: 6 chains to 1 inch ; [1:4,752]Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-22344. Original map size 35 x 22 inches.Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.