Plan of Fort George Upper Canada shewing the Works of Defence ordered to be constructed in 1799
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistoric plan showing Niagara Township (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) focusing on the proposed construction of the military Fort George. North is oriented to the bottom right at Lake Ontario. The location of Fort George is shown on the bank of the Niagara River. The buildings within the fort as well as some that are outside of the fort are labelled alphabetically. Corresponding reference information at the left of the plan provides further information about what each building was. Buildings on the property of the fort include: blackhouse, magazine, hospital & kitchen, office quarters & kitchen, guard house, set of block houses, storehouses and wharf. Navy Hall is also shown and is located next to “h”, a wharf. More buildings are shown along the bank of the river but are not labelled. Boundary lines are shown. At the very top of the map a small block of buildings are shown and are labelled: “Buildings for the Indian Department”. Fort Niagara is shown on the American side of the river but nothing is labelled. Plan bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications.
Authorship not indicated.
Scale: 200 feet to 1 inch ; 1:2,400
Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-16811. Original map size 36 ½ x 35 ¼ in.
Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.