Settlement in Grantham Township had begun as early as 1784, with a complete survey completed by 1789. The majority of settlers were former Butler’s Rangers and followed by other loyalists who had left all property and possessions behind after the end of the American Revolution. The township continued to grow and prosper. Eventually the village of St. Catharines sprung up at what was known as Shipman’s Corners, the intersection between Ontario and St. Paul streets. The area outside of the village/town remained chiefly agricultural.

Click here to view the Grantham Township Records Collection finding aid: https://dr.library.brocku.ca/bitstream/handle/10464/3027/Grantham%20Township%20records%20collection%20RG%20117.pdf

Recent Submissions

  • Grantham Township record book 

    Grantham Township (1800s)
    A minute book for Grantham Township, Ontario. It records the proceedings of meetings from 1818-1854 and the names of parish and town officers from 1818 to 1842. Names include: Chisholm, Ball, Steele, TenBroeck, Shipman, ...

View more