Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorCameron, Chantal
dc.date.accessioned2012-09-17T14:21:56Z
dc.date.available2012-09-17T14:21:56Z
dc.date.issued2012-09-17
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10464/4098
dc.descriptionThe Welland Canal Company was formed in 1824 by William Hamilton Merritt. Construction of the first Welland Canal began in 1829 and was completed in 1834. The canal ran south from Port Dalhousie along Twelve Mile Creek to St. Catharines. An extension was built in 1833 to Gravelly Bay, now Port Colborne. As ships became larger and the wooden locks deteriorated, the need for a new canal became apparent. In 1839, the government purchased the Welland Canal Company’s assets and began making plans for the construction of a second canal. Construction began in 1841 and was completed by 1845. In 1887, a third Welland Canal was completed, which operated until 1932, when a fourth canal was completed. This canal remains in operation today.en_US
dc.description.abstractFonds consists of 3 books of leases for the second and third canals and feeder canals, 1905-1951; 2 books of indentures, the first labeled “Register A—1826-1852”, and the second labeled “Register B—1841-1880”; 1 journal of deeds, contracts, leases, awards, bonds, mortgages and letters in Welland Canal Office, 1826-1860; 1 book of survey of lands appropriated to the use of the Welland Canal Company, 1826-1837; 3 Welland Canal books, 1826-1860s containing survey maps and records concerning the construction and route of the First and Second Welland Canals; 1 book of the Second Welland Canal: Channel Improvements, Filling and Grading for Thorold, Merritton, and St. Catharines, by R.K. Kilborn & Associates Ltd., 1959; 1 book of the Second Welland Canal: Concrete Conduits & Misc. Grading—Towns of Thorold and Merritton, by R.K. Kilborn & Associates Ltd., 1958-1959; 1 book of sketches of the Welland Canal—Operations and Maintenance, 1953, 1966, undated; and photocopied plans of the Welland Canal (loose pages), 1837-1845, 1872, 1882, 1908, 1950.en_US
dc.language.isoenen_US
dc.relation.ispartofseries;RG 422
dc.subjectCanals--Ontarioen_US
dc.subjectWelland Canal (Ont.)en_US
dc.titleWelland Canal/St. Lawrence Seaway Authority fonds, 1826-1880, 1905-1951en_US
dc.typeOtheren_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record