Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorCameron, Chantal
dc.descriptionThe County of Lincoln dates back to 1798, when the first Lincoln County was formed. It was comprised of the townships of Clinton, Grimsby, Saltfleet, Barton, Ancaster, Glanford, Binbrook,Gainsborough, Caistor, Newark (Niagara),Grantham, Louth, Stamford, Thorold, Pelham, Bertie, Willoughby, Crowland, Humberstone and Wainfleet. The County boundaries were revised over the years, and the formation of Welland County in 1856 left only 7 townships in Lincoln County (Niagara, Grantham, Louth, Clinton, Gainsborough, Caistor and Grimsby). A County Council was also established at this time, which consisted of a Clerk, Warden, and a representative from each township. In 1862, the County Seat was moved from Niagara-on-the-Lake to St. Catharines. In 1970, Lincoln and Welland Counties were amalgamated to form the Regional Municipality of Niagara.en_US
dc.description.abstractThis archive is part of the larger Ontario Editorial Bureau Fonds (OEB) housed at Brock University. The records contain information about Lincoln County’s activities and projects, including the promotional film “Lincoln County—Years of Heritage”, the annual Lincoln County Blossom time, and a survey of historic buildings in Lincoln County. The bulk of the material is correspondence, media releases and speeches.en_US
dc.relation.ispartofseries;RG 75-30
dc.relation.ispartofseries;RG 75-30
dc.subjectLincoln (Ont. : County)--Historyen_US
dc.titleLincoln County Recordsen_US

Files in this item


This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • 1. Archival Finding Aids
    These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.

Show simple item record