Digital Repository

Additional Return for Ordnance Stores for the Use of Capt. Thos. Biddle’s Compy Corps of Artillery, June 24, 1814

DSpace/Manakin Repository

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Cameron, Chantal
dc.date.accessioned 2012-04-25T14:12:51Z
dc.date.available 2012-04-25T14:12:51Z
dc.date.issued 2012-04-25
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/10464/3995
dc.description Jacob Hindman (1789-1827) was an American military officer who was a captain of the Second U.S. Artillery during the War of 1812. He commanded troops at the battles at Fort George and Stony Creek in 1813, and in June of that year became the major of the Second Artillery. He remained in this position until May of 1814 when the regiment was merged with the Corps of Artillery. During the Niagara campaign in 1814, Hindman’s company commanders included Nathan Towson, Thomas Biddle, John Ritchie, and Alexander Williams. During the British attack on Fort Erie in August 1814, Hindman led an assault for which he later received a brevet promotion to lieutenant colonel for “gallant conduct in the defense of Fort Erie”. In 1815, he received an additional brevet for “meritorious services”. He is generally regarded as one of the most successful artillerists of the War of 1812. James Hall (1793-1868) served with the U.S. military as a second lieutenant in the Second Artillery during the War of 1812. He fought in the Battle of Lundy’s Lane and was General Brown’s messenger during the attack on Fort Erie. He left the military in 1818 and became a newspaper editor and author. His experiences during the War of 1812 provided material for two stories, The Bearer of Despatches and Empty Pockets. Much of his work sought to popularize the West and promote western authors. en_US
dc.description.abstract A return for ordnance stores for Captain Thos. Biddle’s company corps of artillery. The document is dated June 24, 1814 at the Artillery Encampment, Buffalo, and is signed by James Hall, Lieut. & Conductor of Ord., and J. Hindman, Major Coms. Arty. Some of the supplies listed include 1 quadrant, 2 sheepskins, 2 powder measures, 2 shell hooks, 1 caliber compass, 1 pr. Gongs for hot shott, 12 drivers whips, 6 lb. tallow, 10 4 lb. rockets, and ½ foot quick match. These supplies were likely used in the defense of Fort Erie in August 1814, when the fort was attacked by the British following the Battle at Lundy's Lane on July 25, 1814. en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.relation.ispartofseries ;RG 413
dc.subject United States--History--War of 1812--Sources en_US
dc.title Additional Return for Ordnance Stores for the Use of Capt. Thos. Biddle’s Compy Corps of Artillery, June 24, 1814 en_US
dc.type Other en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • War of 1812 Collection
    A digital collection of the 1812 era records from the Brock University Archives and Special Collections.

Show simple item record

Search The Repository


Browse

My Account

Statistics


About the Digital Repository