Digital Repository

Lighting recommendations for the Ryan Electric Scintillator and Fireworks Program for the official dedication Niagara Falls illumination, 1925

DSpace/Manakin Repository

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Adams, Anne
dc.date.accessioned 2012-04-17T15:07:20Z
dc.date.available 2012-04-17T15:07:20Z
dc.date.issued 2012-04-17
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/10464/3981
dc.description Walter D’Arcy Ryan was born in 1870 in Kentville, Nova Scotia. He became the chief of the department of illumination at the General Electric Company of Schenectady, New York. He was a founder in the field of electrical illumination. He built the electric steam scintillator which had numerous nozzles and valves. The operator would release steam through the valves. The nozzles all had names which included: Niagara, fan, snake, plume, column, pinwheel and sunburst. The steam scintillator was combined with projectors, prismatic reflectors, flashers and filters to produce the desired effects. In 1920 a group of businessmen from Niagara Falls, New York formed a group who called themselves the “generators’. They lobbied the American and Canadian governments to improve the illumination of the Falls. They were able to raise $58, 000 for the purchase and installation of 24 arc lights to illuminate the Falls. On February 24th, 1925 the Niagara Falls Illumination Board was formed. Initially, the board had a budget of $28,000 for management, operation and maintenance of the lights. The power was supplied free by the Ontario Power Company. They had 24 lights installed in a row on the Ontario Power Company surge tank which was next to the Refectory in Victoria Park on the Canadian side. The official opening ceremony took place on June 8th, 1925 and included a light parade in Niagara Falls, New York and an international ceremony held in the middle of the Upper Steel Arch Bridge. Walter D’Arcy Ryan was the illuminating engineer and A.D. Dickerson who was his New York field assistant directed the scintillator. with information from American Technological Sublime by David E. Nye and the Niagara Falls info website Location: Brock University Archives Source Information: Subject Headings: Added Entries: 100 Ryan, W. D’A. |q (Walter D’Arcy), |d 1870-1934 610 General Electric Company 650 Lighting, Architectural and decorative 650 Lighting |z New York (State) |z Niagara Falls 700 Dickerson, A.F. 700 Schaffer, J.W. Related material held at other repositories: The Niagara Falls Museum in Niagara Falls, Ontario has a program (pamphlet) dedicating new lighting in 1958 and it has postcards depicting the illumination of the Falls. Some of Ryan’s accomplishments can be seen at The Virtual Museum of the City of San Francisco. Described by: Anne Adams Date: Sept 26,Upper Steel Arch Bridge. Walter D’Arcy Ryan was the illuminating engineer and A.D. Dickerson who was his New York field assistant directed the scintillator. with information from American Technological Sublime by David E. Nye and the Niagara Falls info website en_US
dc.description.abstract 1 duo tang containing 2 documents. The first 2 page document lists the illuminations which will take place at the official dedication of the Official Niagara Falls Illumination. The second document is a five page list of instructions to the operators regarding the same dedication. Physical Description en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.relation.ispartofseries RG;358
dc.subject W. D’A. (Walter D’Arcy) Ryan -- General Electric Company --Architectural and decorative lighting -- Niagara Falls, New York en_US
dc.title Lighting recommendations for the Ryan Electric Scintillator and Fireworks Program for the official dedication Niagara Falls illumination, 1925 en_US
dc.type Other en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search The Repository


Browse

My Account

Statistics


About the Digital Repository