Digital Repository

Welland County Records, 1961-1989

DSpace/Manakin Repository

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Cameron, Chantal
dc.date.accessioned 2012-03-26T18:13:14Z
dc.date.available 2012-03-26T18:13:14Z
dc.date.issued 2012-03-26
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/10464/3934
dc.description The origins of the Welland County Fair date back to the founding of the County of Welland in 1852. A provincial charter was issued in 1853 to create the Welland County Agricultural Society that was to operate the Fair. In 1970, the Welland County Fair became the Niagara Regional Exhibition, and the Society became known as the Niagara Regional Agriculture Society. The Society seeks to “encourage interest, promote improvements in and advance the standards of agriculture, domestic industry and rural life”. The Welland Festival of Arts was developed in 1986 in order to revitalize the town’s economy. An “outdoor art gallery” was created by painting murals on buildings that depicted the town’s heritage, a concept successfully adopted by the town of Chemainus, B.C. The first mural was completed in the summer of 1988, and by 1991 there were a total of 28 murals around the city. The endeavour proved successful: in the years that followed the creation of the Festival, two new hotels were constructed, a third was expanded, and there was an addition to the Seaway Mall to accommodate the increased tourist traffic. Optimist International is a non-profit organization that strives to “bring out the best in kids” . The first Canadian club was formed in Toronto in 1924. The Welland branch of the Optimist Club was founded in 1937. The first Welland County General Hospital opened in 1908. As the population increased, it became necessary to expand the existing facilities. Additions were made to the original structure with an East wing in 1930 and a children’s ward in 1931. However, in the 1950’s, the hospital was operating beyond optimum capacity and the need for a larger facility was clear. It was decided that a new hospital would be built, which opened in April 1960. The new hospital had 259 beds and 51 bassinets. Further additions were made in 1967 and 1978. The County of Welland was formed in 1850 when it was officially separated from Lincoln County, however, the two counties continued to operate together until 1856 when a new County building and jail for Welland County were completed. That same year, the first meeting of the Council of the Corporation of Welland County took place. The final meeting of the Council took place on December 18, 1969. The following year, the County of Welland merged with Lincoln County to form the Regional Municipality of Niagara. The Welland Mills in Thorold, Ont., was built in 1846-1847 by Jacob Keefer and is thought to have been one of the largest flour mills in Upper Canada. Ownership of the mill changed several times over the years and previous owners include the Howland family, the Hedley Shaw Milling Company and the Maple Leaf Milling Company. In 1986, the building received a heritage plaque from the Ontario Heritage Foundation, an agency of the Ontario Ministry of Culture and Recreation. At this time, the mill was no longer in operation and was being used for storage by Fraser, Inc. By 2006, the dilapidated building had been redeveloped into18 apartments and 2 floors of commercial space, while maintaining many heritage features. The building is currently known as the Welland Mills Centre. en_US
dc.description.abstract The records include material on the Welland County Fair, the Welland Festival of Arts, the Welland Optimist Club, the Welland County Hospital Campaign, the last session of the Council of the County of Welland and the unveiling of a historic plaque at Welland Mills. The bulk of the collection is correspondence and media releases. This archive is part of the larger Ontario Editorial Bureau fonds (OEB) housed at Brock University. en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.relation.ispartofseries ;RG 75-31
dc.subject Welland Mills (Thorold, Ont.) en_US
dc.subject Welland County General Hospital. en_US
dc.subject Ontario Editorial Bureau--Records and correspondence. en_US
dc.subject Flour mills--Ontario--Thorold--History--Sources. en_US
dc.subject Agircultural exhibitions--Ontario--Welland (County) en_US
dc.subject Fairs--Ontario--Welland (County) en_US
dc.subject Mural painting and decoration, Canadian--20th century. en_US
dc.subject Mural painting and decoration--Ontario--Welland. en_US
dc.subject Welland (Ont.)--History. en_US
dc.subject Clubs--Ontario--Welland--History. en_US
dc.subject County hospitals--Ontario--Welland--Planning. en_US
dc.subject Welland (Ont. : County)--History--Sources. en_US
dc.title Welland County Records, 1961-1989 en_US
dc.type Other en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search The Repository


Browse

My Account

Statistics


About the Digital Repository