Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorCameron, Chantal
dc.descriptionIn 1846, the governments of Upper Canada and the State of New York initiated the creation of two companies that would be authorized to build a bridge over the Niagara River. The bridge was to be owned by both companies, respectively known as the Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge Company (Canadian) and the International Bridge Company (American). A suspension bridge was completed in 1848. This bridge was later replaced by a second suspension bridge that accommodated railways, built in 1853-54. However, the increasing weight of trains made it necessary for the bridge to be redesigned, and a third bridge was completed in 1886. Eventually, this bridge was replaced by a steel arch bridge, which was completed in 1897.en_US
dc.description.abstractConsists of five paid invoices from various businesses and individuals. The invoices were issued by Swan & Low, dealers in coal and wood, the Town of Clifton, the Goat Island Hotel, Albion Medina Stone Co., and A.L. Hawkins, Clifton.en_US
dc.relation.ispartofseries;RG 374
dc.subjectNiagara Falls Suspension Bridge Comapny.en_US
dc.titleNiagara Falls Suspension Bridge Company fonds, 1875-1876, 1878, 1884en_US

Files in this item


This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • 1. Archival Finding Aids
    These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.

Show simple item record