Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorWilliams, Edie
dc.date.accessioned2012-01-13T20:12:26Z
dc.date.available2012-01-13T20:12:26Z
dc.date.issued2012-01-13
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10464/3893
dc.descriptionJames D. Tait (1836-1907) came to Canada in 1855 from Scotland. He worked in the dry goods business until he established the James D. Tait Company in 1864. The business was first located on Ontario street and specialized in furs. The business expanded to include dry goods and dress-making. After the building was destroyed by fire, Tait established and expanded the business into the Prendergast building on the corner of St. Paul and William Streets. James D. Tait died in 1907 while on vacation in Muskoka. In 1912 upon the resignation (or removal) of Benjamin Brick and Arthur Harbour, Stanley G. Smith joins the company as a director and secretary-treasurer. 1918/1919 vice-president E.J. Dignum dies. 1919 S.J. Inksater becomes a director of the company (His stock was purchased by the J.D. Tait Co.) By the 1930s the business, still in the same location, was under the leadership of Malcolm Stobie, President, Samuel J. Inksater, Vice-President and Stanley G. Smith, Secretary-Treasurer. The James D. Tait Company Limited ceased operations on 17 August 1933. The 1935 St. Catharines city directory records John Stobie, a former manager of the James D. Tait Company, operating a dry goods business at the same location, but with one-third the size of the original store space.en_US
dc.description.abstractThe James D. Tait Company Limited Fonds consists of account and ledger books, financial statements, tax returns and receipts and estate papers of the late Robert R. Cameron.en_US
dc.language.isoenen_US
dc.relation.ispartofseries;RG 183
dc.subjectJames D. Tait Company Limiteden_US
dc.subjectRetail trade -- Ontario -- St. Catharines – History -- Sourcesen_US
dc.subjectStores, Retail -- Ontario -- St. Catharines -- Historyen_US
dc.subjectSt. Catharines (Ont.) -- Commerce -- Historyen_US
dc.subjectSt. Catharines (Ont.) -- Historyen_US
dc.titleJames D. Tait Company Limited Fonds, 1890-1939 [non-inclusive]en_US
dc.typeOtheren_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • 1. Archival Finding Aids
    These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.

Show simple item record