The Columbian Newspaper vol. IV no. 1105- June 12, 1813
MetadataShow full item record
The "Columbian" was established by Mr. Holt in 1808 as an "organ of the Clintonians" (Journalism in the United States, from 1690-1872 By Frederic Hudson) and a replacement to the "Citizen". It was a passionate Democratic paper that supported both Jefferson and Madison. Holt later sold the "Columbian" to Alden Spooner, who published the Long Island "Star". The Columbian ceased in 1821.This issue contains accounts of the American capture of Fort George by Maj. Gen. Dearborn and Gen. Lewis, dated 27 May 1813. Also contains a letter from Gen. H. Dearborn dated 29 May 1813 describing the American pursuit of British troops at Beaver Dams and the American capture of Fort Erie.