Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorAdams, Anne
dc.contributor.authorWilliams, Edie
dc.date.accessioned2011-01-28T21:27:21Z
dc.date.available2011-01-28T21:27:21Z
dc.date.issued2011-01-28
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10464/3135
dc.descriptionThe site of present-day St. Catharines was settled by 3000 United Empire Loyalists at the end of the 18th century. From 1790, the settlement (then known as "The Twelve") grew as an agricultural community. St. Catharines was once referred to Shipman's Corners after Paul Shipman, owner of a tavern that was an important stagecoach transfer point. In 1815, leading businessman William Hamilton Merritt abandoned his wharf at Queenston and set up another at Shipman's Corners. He became involved in the construction and operation of several lumber and gristmills along Twelve Mile Creek. Shipman's Corners soon became the principal milling site of the eastern Niagara Peninsula. At about the same time, Merritt began to develop the salt springs that were discovered along the river which subsequently gave the village a reputation as a health resort. By this time St. Catharines was the official name of the village; the origin of the name remains obscure, but is thought to be named after Catharine Askin Robertson Hamilton, wife of the Hon. Robert Hamilton, a prominent businessman. Merritt devised a canal scheme from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario that would provide a more reliable water supply for the mills while at the same time function as a canal. He formed the Welland Canal Company, and construction took place from 1824 to 1829. The canal and the mills made St. Catharines the most important industrial centre in Niagara. By 1845, St. Catharines was incorporated as a town, with the town limits extending in 1854. Administrative and political functions were added to St. Catharines in 1862 when it became the county seat of Lincoln. In 1871, construction began on the third Welland Canal, which attracted additional population to the town. As a consequence of continual growth, the town limits were again extended. St. Catharines attained city status in 1876 with its larger population and area. Manufacturing became increasingly important in St. Catharines in the early 1900s with the abundance of hydro-electric power, and its location on important land and water routes. The large increase in population after the 1900s was mainly due to the continued industrialization and urbanization of the northern part of the city and the related expansion of business activity. The fourth Welland Canal was opened in 1932 as the third canal could no longer accommodate the larger ships. The post war years and the automobile brought great change to the urban form of St. Catharines. St. Catharines began to spread its boundaries in all directions with land being added five times during the 1950s. The Town of Merritton, Village of Port Dalhousie and Grantham Township were all incorporated as part of St. Catharines in 1961. In 1970 the Province of Ontario implemented a regional approach to deal with such issues as planning, pollution, transportation and services. As a result, Louth Township on the west side of the city was amalgamated, extending the city's boundary to Fifteen Mile Creek. With its current population of 131,989, St. Catharines has become the dominant centre of the Niagara region. Source: City of St. Catharines website http://www.stcatharines.ca/en/governin/HistoryOfTheCity.asp (January 27, 2011)en_US
dc.description.abstractCorrespondence, meeting minutes, membership lists, newsletters, biographies and organizational history.en_US
dc.language.isoenen_US
dc.relation.ispartofseries;RG 343
dc.subjectBald, Wilfred Rand, 1892-1982.en_US
dc.subjectBench, J. J.en_US
dc.subjectChaplin, James Dew, 1863-1937.en_US
dc.subjectHawley, Estelle Cuffe, 1893?-1995en_US
dc.subjectAvery, Frederick H.en_US
dc.subjectChown, Mackenzie Alan, 1921-1983en_US
dc.subjectDaley, Charles, 1890-1976en_US
dc.subjectFranklin, A.C. John, 1914-1972en_US
dc.subjectLockhart, Norman James Alexander Macdonald, 1884-1974en_US
dc.subjectMacdonald, William John, 1875-1956en_US
dc.subjectMcCordick, Frank Case, 1873-1946en_US
dc.subjectRobertson, Richard Menzies, 1902-1978en_US
dc.subjectSmith, John, 1894-1977en_US
dc.subjectWestwood, Walter James, 1865-1937en_US
dc.subjectWright, John David, 1872-1948en_US
dc.subjectElizabeth II, Queen of Great britain, 1926- -- Coronationen_US
dc.subjectSt. Catharines (Ont.) -- Clerk's Officeen_US
dc.subjectMcKinnon Industries Ltd.en_US
dc.subjectGeneral Motors of Canadaen_US
dc.subjectNiagara, St. Catharines & Toronto Railway -- Historyen_US
dc.subjectPackard Electric Company -- Historyen_US
dc.subjectLincoln Electric Light and Power Companyen_US
dc.subjectGuaranty Silk Dyeing and Finishing Companyen_US
dc.subjectAirports -- Ontario -- St. Catharinesen_US
dc.subjectIndustries -- Ontario -- St. Catharinesen_US
dc.subjectMunicipal government -- Ontario -- St. Catharines -- Sourcesen_US
dc.subjectCity planning -- Ontario -- Grantham (Township)en_US
dc.subjectCity planning -- Ontario -- Merrittonen_US
dc.subjectCity planning -- Ontario -- St. Catharinesen_US
dc.subjectCemeteries -- Ontario -- St. Catharines -- Historyen_US
dc.subjectBridges -- Ontario -- St. Catharines -- Glenridge Bridgeen_US
dc.subjectQueen Elizabeth Way (Ont.) -- Historyen_US
dc.subjectSantatoriums -- Ontario -- Niagara Peninsulaen_US
dc.subjectArchitects -- Ontario -- St. Catharinesen_US
dc.subjectSavings bonds -- Canadaen_US
dc.subjectLocal elections -- Ontario -- St. Catharinesen_US
dc.subjectMonuments -- Ontario -- St. Catharinesen_US
dc.subjectAutomobile industry workers -- Labor unions -- Ontario -- St. Catharinesen_US
dc.subjectStreet names -- Ontario -- St. Catharines -- Historyen_US
dc.subjectWelland Canal (Ont.) -- Historyen_US
dc.subjectGrantham (Ont. : Township) -- Historyen_US
dc.subjectMerritton (Ont.) -- Historyen_US
dc.subjectPort Dalhousie (Ont.) -- Historyen_US
dc.subjectSt. Catharines (Ont.) -- History -- Sourcesen_US
dc.subjectWorld War, 1914-1918 -- Monuments -- Ontario -- St. Catharinesen_US
dc.subjectWorld War, 1939-1945 -- Monuments -- Ontario -- St. Catharinesen_US
dc.subjectGeorge VI, King of Great Britain, 1895-1952 -- Coronationen_US
dc.subjectNiagara Grape and Wine Festival -- History -- Sourcesen_US
dc.titleOffice of the City Clerk, St. Catharines Records, 1928-1974, n.d.en_US
dc.typeOtheren_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • 1. Archival Finding Aids
    These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.

Show simple item record