Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorGoul, Jen
dc.descriptionServing the Niagara and surrounding areas for over 120 years, Walker Industries has made its impact not only commercially, but also culturally. Beginning in 1875 with the erection of a stone sawing mill on a property John Walker purchased from the Welland Canal Loan Company. One of the first projects Walker cut stone for was the Merritton Town Hall. In 1882 the business expanded to include Walkers children, changing the name to Walker & Sons. Eventually in 1887 the two eldest sons took control of the business operation and their partnership changed the company’s name to Walker Brothers, the same year the company began operating its first quarry. The quarry was conveniently located alongside the 3rd Welland canal, offering easy access to Toronto and Hamilton. It was also close to the railway system which allowed immediate access to Thorold and Niagara Falls and later access to parts of Ontario and Quebec. The quarry supplied stone to build numerous halls and armouries across Ontario. A use was also found for the ‘waste products’ of cutting the limestone. Leftover stone chips were sent to paper mills, where stone was needed as part of the sulphite pulp process for making paper. Beginning to supply the Ontario Paper Company with stone in 1913, meant not only long, hard, work, but also more profit for the company. Before mechanization, most of the loading and unloading of the stone was done by hand, taking 19 man-hours to load an 18 yard railway car. Mechanization followed in 1947 when the plant became fully mechanized making the work easier and increasing production rates. In 1957 the company moved from its original location and opened the St. Catharines Crushed Stone Plant.en_US
dc.description.abstractThis archive contains materials relating to the Walker Brothers Quarries Limited. The bulk of the materials are correspondence, meeting minutes and media releases. The materials have been kept in original order, except where noted.en_US
dc.relation.ispartofseries;RG 75-22
dc.subjectOntario Editorial Bureauen_US
dc.subjectWalker, Johnen_US
dc.subjectWalker, Norrisen_US
dc.subjectQuarries and quarrying -- Ontario -- Niagara (Regionalen_US
dc.subjectRefuse and refuse disposal -- Ontario -- Niagara (Regional municipality)en_US
dc.subjectWalker Brothers Quarries -- Historyen_US
dc.subjectWalker Brothers Quarries Limiteden_US
dc.titleWalker Brothers Quarries Limited fonds, 1975, 1980-1981, 1984, 1987-1989en_US

Files in this item


This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • 1. Archival Finding Aids
    These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.

Show simple item record