Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorGoul, Jen
dc.descriptionIn 1903, the Canadian Association of Amateur Oarsmen had their request granted to make the Old Welland Canal at Port Dalhousie the permanent site of the Royal Canadian Henley Regatta. That same year organized rowing was established in St. Catharines when the St. Catharines Rowing and Canoe Club was formed. The Henley course was completed in July of 1903 after rowing was well underway. Although the Henley course served as an athletic and social event, rowing itself was slow to grow in the St. Catharines area. In 1915 the Regatta was cancelled for the duration of WWI and reinstated in 1919 when an increased public interest in the sport began to grow. Two years later, the Henley Aquatic Association was formed in order to control, maintain and improve the rowing facilities. This association was responsible for building a new clubhouse at Ann Street in 1921 and in 1931 completing the grandstands. Also in the 1930s the association had the Federal Government approve their appeal to have the Henley waters dredged for the first time. The St. Catharines Rowing Club re-located its headquarters to the Lakeport Road site. The 1940s brought more support from local groups and with that more events. In 1945, the St. Catharines Junior Chamber of Commerce began helping to organize and promote rowing locally. One of the new events at the Henley course was the "Schoolboy Championships". The growth of both rowing and the Henley continued growing through the 1950s. The Henley Aquatic Association acquired Reid's Island, now Henley Island, mainly through the efforts of Ted Nelson. In the 1960s, rowing really took off in St. Catharines. Women began to become recognized in the sport when Brock University created a women's rowing team. The second dredging was completed in 1964, leading to the creation of a world class rowing course. The facilities were upgraded to international standards and the Henley rowing course became Canada's first Class A FISA (Fédération Internationale des Sociétés d’Aviron or International Federation of Rowing Associations) rowing course. The first North American Rowing Championship was held at the Henley course in 1967 and again in 1970 for the third championship. The Canadian Henley Rowing Corporation formed in 1972, along with the St. Catharines, Parks and Recreation Department created the first rowing school for youth. Since 1960, St. Catharines has been at a competitive level with other International rowing courses. The city continues to produce Olympic level athletes today.en_US
dc.description.abstractThe fonds contains materials relating to the Royal Canadian Henley Regatta in the 1980s. The materials included are media releases, clippings, correspondence and photographs. Some duplicates remain within the collection, such as press packages and event programs. The collection is divided into two series, correspondence and media. The materials were placed in alphabetical order within a series and chronological order within designated titles. Original folder titles were retained.en_US
dc.relation.ispartofseries;RG 75-17
dc.subjectRoyal Canadian Henley Regattaen_US
dc.subjectOntario Editorial Bureauen_US
dc.subjectSports -- Ontario -- St. Catharines -- Historyen_US
dc.subjectRegattas -- Ontario -- St. Catharinesen_US
dc.subjectRowing -- Tournaments -- Ontario -- St. Catharinesen_US
dc.subjectRowing -- Ontario -- St. Catharines -- Historyen_US
dc.subjectSt. Catharines (Ont.) -- Recreation areasen_US
dc.titleRoyal Canadian Henley Regatta fonds, 1948-1983 (non-inclusive)en_US

Files in this item


This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • 1. Archival Finding Aids
    These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.

Show simple item record