Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorCameron, Chantal
dc.date.accessioned2018-09-04T19:50:28Z
dc.date.available2018-09-04T19:50:28Z
dc.date.issued2018-09-04
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10464/13634
dc.descriptionCharles Hamilton Mitchell (1872-1941) was a Canadian civil engineer. He graduated with a civil engineering degree from the University of Toronto in 1898. He was City Engineer of Niagara Falls, N.Y. from 1894 to 1901. In 1905, he was the principal assistant engineer of the Ontario Power Company in Niagara Falls, Ontario, and then studied electrical power in Europe in 1906. Between 1906 and 1914, he designed and built hydro-electric power plants across Canada. He was also a consulting engineer to the Dominion Water Power Branch, Department of the Interior, from 1911-1914 and 1919-1920. In 1919, he was appointed Dean of the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering at the University of Toronto, a post which he held until his retirement in 1941. In addition to this role, he served on a joint Canadian-American board of engineers studying the St. Lawrence Waterway Project (1924), was a member of the Canadian Society of Civil Engineers (serving as vice-president from 1920 to 1923 and president in 1929), the Institution of Civil Engineers of Great Britain, the American Society of Civil Engineers, and became the first president of the Association of Professional Engineers in Ontario in 1922.en_US
dc.description.abstractThe collection consists of engineering field books containing surveys, diagrams and other information about the City of Niagara Falls, Ontario. Some books include other areas such as Niagara Falls (New York), Niagara-on-the-Lake, Fort Erie, Thorold, St. Davids, Chippawa, Bertie, St. Catharines, Welland, Humberstone, Tilsonburg, Orillia, and New Brunswick. The bulk of the collection contains surveys, diagrams and information relating to property surveys and sewers and sidewalks in Niagara Falls (Ontario), as well as hydroelectric power, both within and outside the Niagara area. The books were maintained by Civil Engineers of the City of Niagara Falls, including C.H. Mitchell and John H. Jackson, as well as Anderson & Barry (Surveyors & Engineers).en_US
dc.language.isoenen_US
dc.relation.ispartofseries;RG 663
dc.rightsCC0 1.0 Universal*
dc.rights.urihttp://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/*
dc.subjectSewerage -- Ontario -- Niagara Falls.en_US
dc.subjectSidewalks -- Ontario -- Niagara Falls.en_US
dc.subjectHydroelectric power plants -- Canada.en_US
dc.titleNiagara Engineering Field Books Collection, 1892-1934en_US
dc.typeOtheren_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • 1. Archival Finding Aids
    These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.

Show simple item record

CC0 1.0 Universal
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as CC0 1.0 Universal