Shore line of Lake Ontario at Port Dalhousie
MetadataShow full item record
Historic map showing the Lake Ontario shore line at Port Dalhousie. North is oriented left towards the lake. Text below the title indicates the time frame that the shore line map is representative of: “as it was in 1844” and “as it is now (1883)”. Although this is a black and white version, the original had the 1844 shoreline indicated in blue and the 1883 line indicated in red. Lock 1 of the Second Welland Canal and the line of the First Welland Canal are shown. The Village of Port Dalhousie is labelled and Lock Street is shown beginning at the lake and running through Port Dalhousie to a tow path. Also shown on this map are various locations relevant to Welland Canal operations, including: Collector’s House, Sail Loft, Muir’s Dry Dock, Shore House, Collector’s Office, Weir, Wain and Andrews Dry Dock. A new harbor is located to the east of Port Dalhousie and a road to St. Catharines to the south. A note at the bottom of the map reads as follows: “Shore Line colored RED taken June 29th 1883. Level of Lake 14 feet on Mitre Sill of Old (2nd) Canal.” Signed: "Thorold, 2nd July 1883. Thomas Monro". "RG 43 vol. 804 Folder 85 #14848 (?)" written in top right margin and bottom right margin.Authorship indicated: Thomas Monro.Scale: [ca. 1:3,076]Photo-reproduction. Black and white paper reproduction is available in Brock University MDGL. Call Number: G 3464 P66 1883 M67Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.