Plan of the Military Reserves at Niagara, 1843.
W. C. E. Holloway
MetadataShow full item record
Historic map with title and subtitle text that reads as follows: “NIAGARA, Plan of the Military Reserves bounded Green, showing the lots tinted yellow which are required by the Commissioner of Crown Lands: It is desirable that for these lots the Ordnance should obtain the equal portions of ground contained in lots from 13 to 20 together with Lots 75 & 76, all tinted black, if no particular objection thereto should appear to the Colonial Authorities.” A notation at the bottom of the map indicates that the map was “to accompany Col. Holloway’s letter No. 82 of 12th August 1843.”Historic map with north to the bottom-right of the page toward Lake Ontario, shows Fort Mississagua (sic) and the Mississagua Reserve situated adjacent to Lake Ontario. Land to the east and south of the reserve is broken into equal sized lots some of which are labelled by number and some are marked with the name or organization that the land was granted to. Also east of Fort Mississagua is land that is occupied by the Niagara Harbour and Dock Company. The ruins of Fort George, a hospital and Butlers Barracks are also visible on this map. Adjacent to Butlers Barracks is a proposed cricket ground. Some of the streets are labelled. The map is signed by author W. Holloway."The land was required by the trustees of the Niagara District School and was at the corner of the barrack ground next to proposed cricket ground; lots wanted in exchange by the ordnance were near Fort Mississauga."--Mapping Upper Canada 1780-1876 / by Joan Winerals.Authorship indicated: W. C. E. Holloway, J. Nightingale.Scale: 300 feet to 1 inch ; [ca. 1:4,769]Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-43151. Black and white paper reproduction is available in Brock University MDGL. Call Number: G 3464 N55 R4 1843 H655.Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.