Fort Erie, C.W.
MetadataShow full item record
Historic map showing the Fort Erie Military Reserve in 1850. Explanatory text below the title is as follows: “Plan of the Military Reserve, showing all the Houses thereon, and the quantity of land attached to each, Etc., as called for by Colonel Vavasour’s Order dated 19th November 1850.” Below this text is a reference chart which lists occupant names, the quantity of land they owned and a description of the buildings on the property. It is noted that the information came from a survey completed in December 1850. Further, a memorandum provides more detailed information about the plan.Plan shows the military reserve land at Fort Erie, which sits adjacent to Lake Erie. The “Ruins of Fort Erie” are shown with portioned land underneath an overlay. The overlay indicates the land portions in a different location than the original plan which can be still be seen. The overlay is noted to have been; “taken from a Plan signed Gother Mann Col. (?) Royl. Engr. Quebec 1st Augst. 1803.” Also shown on the overlay is the location of a proposed fort and “Building Lots for Merchants and Traders on the Kings reserved Land.” Fort Erie in ruins and a King’s Store is marked. The direction/placement of the overlay is peculiar as it places the proposed fort and ruins of Fort Erie in the Lake. Wooded land surrounds the land occupied by the fort and labelled lots. A notation along the shore reads: “General line of ordinary High Water Mark.” “Public Road” is shown to the north and another cross road is shown running south from the public road to the lake. A notation above Public Road reads: “a,b,c, Stones placed by the Boundary Commissioners.” The map has been signed by participating authors: "Copy J. Nightingale, 18th Novr. 1851."; "Signed Henry Vavasour... Canada, 8th March 1851."; "Signed Alex Gordon ... Kingston, 25 Dec. 1850."Authorship indicated: S. Freeth, Alex Gordon, J. Nightingale, and Henry VavasourScale: 6 chains to 1 inch ; [1:4,752]Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-2343. Map image in JPEG format..Digital image from the CD-ROM entitled "Historic maps of the Niagara Peninsula from 1787-1864, acquired 2005" available in the Map, Data and GIS Library at call number Map PC G 3462 N53 1864 L53 2005.Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 1343.