Show simple item record

dc.contributorSir Richard Henry Bonnycastle, 1791-1847.
dc.contributorElias Walker Durnford, 1774-1850.
dc.date.accessioned2016-07-08T19:12:20Z
dc.date.accessioned2016-10-06T16:35:32Z
dc.date.available2016-07-08T19:12:20Z
dc.date.available2016-10-06T16:35:32Z
dc.date.created2016-07-08T19:12:20Z
dc.date.issued1827
dc.identifierNMC-22144
dc.identifier.govdocNMC-22144
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10464/10586
dc.description.abstractHistoric map of a portion of land in Niagara featuring the “Short Hills” or “The Mountain”. North is oriented to the right. The land is broken into portions and labelled with the owner’s name and the number of acres. Roads are shown but not labelled. Beginning at the east side of the map is the notation: “4 Miles to Deep cut Welland Canal”. A large section of relief, indicated with hachures is labelled “The Wellington Heights”. This area appears to be chiefly chestnut tree forests. Near Wellington Heights is King George’s Battery, Mt. Niagara and Chestnut Ridge. Various other features are shown such as: buildings, farms, soil characteristics, forests and the types of trees they contain, businesses, mills, and a school-house. "Rl. Engineers Office. Quebec, 20th Nov. 1827, E.W. Durnford, Col. Coun. (?) Rl. Engineers, Canada” is written in the bottom left corner and "R.H. Bonnycastle, Capt. Royal Engineers" is written in the bottom right margin.
dc.description.abstractAuthorship indicated: Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle, and Elias Walker Durnford.
dc.description.abstractScale: 400 feet to 1 inch ; 1:4,800
dc.description.abstractDigital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-22144. Map image in JPEG format.
dc.description.abstractDigital image from the CD-ROM entitled "Historic maps of the Niagara Peninsula from 1787-1864, acquired 2005" available in the Map, Data and GIS Library at call number Map PC G 3462 N53 1864 L53 2005.
dc.description.abstractGeoreferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
dc.description.abstractDescribed in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 736 (2)
dc.formatScale [1:5,280]. 1 in. to 440 ft.
dc.publisherQuebec
dc.rightsNo restrictions. Recommended attribution: Digital map reproduction provided by: Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library
dc.subjectCanada
dc.subjectOntario
dc.subjectNiagara
dc.subjectShort Hills
dc.subjectFortification
dc.titleNo. 2. Plan of that part of the Short Hills in the District of Niagara called the Mountain shewing those lots of grants of land in the 5th, 6th, & 7th concessions of the Township of Pelham in the County of Lincoln which are near the site of the new fortress as proposed in the report of M. General Sir James Carmichael-Smyth
dc.typemap


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record