No. IV, Upper Canada. Plan of Niagara River
Sir James Kempt, 1764-1854.
MetadataShow full item record
Historic map showing the Niagara River from Lake Ontario to Niagara Falls. Text below the title indicates authorship and provides the date and location of creation: “Quebec 22d Decr. 1810.” North is oriented to the left at Lake Ontario. Fort George, Navy Hall, Messasague (sic) Pont, the Town of Niagara, lighthouses and churches are labelled. A portion of the land lying East of the river and south of Queenston is labelled: “Partially cleared and settled”. Various points along the river are labelled including the whirlpool, Niagara Falls, Horse-Shoe Falls, and Islands. Some roadways and proposed roads are indicated. Fort Erie is shown in the south at Lake Erie. Text in the bottom left of the map reads as follows: "This plan is from a survey by Lieut. Gray, assisted by some local surveys obtained on the spot. Q.M. Genls Office Quebec 1st June 1811, James Kempt Q.M. Genl N. America". Vegetation and forested areas are shown and relief is shown by shading.Authorship indicated: Lieutenant A. Gray Asst. Qr. Mr. Genl., Sir James Kempt.Scale: 2 inches to 1 mile ; 1:31,680Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-21728. Digital image from the CD-ROM entitled "Historic maps of the Niagara Peninsula from 1787-1864, acquired 2005" available in the Map, Data and GIS Library at call number Map PC G 3462 N53 1864 L53 2005. Map image in JPEG format.Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 690.