Plan Showing the Military Reserve at the Falls of Niagara Surveyed by Command of His Excellency Sir John Colborne K.C.B. Lieutenant Governor
James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862.
MetadataShow full item record
Historic map showing land along the Niagara River at Niagara Falls. North is oriented to the top right. Niagara Falls is shown, divided into lots which are labelled numerically. A military reserve is shown along the bank of the water. Some buildings are shown and labelled including the Ontario base, stables and a pavilion. On the land north-west of the falls is Table Rock, Wright’s Stairs and a museum. Concession Road, the Road from Chippewa, a road to the ferry and other unlabeled roads are shown. The Niagara River at Niagara Falls is shown. Goat Island and two other unlabeled islands are shown in the river at the top of Niagara Falls. Relief is shown with shading and hachures. In the bottom right corner of the map is reference text providing further information about the lots. Granted land to Philip Bender, James Forsythe and James Elsworth is indicated shown and are indicated by lot number. Text in the top right corner of the map indicates which lots were granted to each individual and provides further information about each lot. The text was written and signed by D. W. Smith A.S.G.Authorship indicated: James Grant ChewettScale: [ca. 1:3,960 or 1 in to 5 chains]Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-11404. Map image in JPEG format. Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 1659.