Plan of the Ground on the West Side the Entrance of Niagara River Exhibiting the Reservations for Military Purposes
MetadataShow full item record
Historic map showing the boundary of the military reserve in Niagara-on-the-Lake with north oriented to the bottom. Fort George is shown with buildings (planned or built), the presence of a marsh, and the relief of the area is indicated with shading. One section of texts reads: “This Reserve is bounded by the SE. Front of the Town to the Extent of 1400 Yards from the Summit of the Bank of the River. Then by a Line perpendicular to the said Front running S 55°E until it intersects the South Boundary being a Line due West from the River at the Distance of 1200 Yards from the High Land above Navy Hall.” Another piece of land is shown with boundary lines, within which the following text was written: “This Reserve is bounded on the SE by the Line of the Town to the Extent of 310 Yds: from the River; then by a Line running N 55°W until it intersects a Line due South from the River at the Distance of 400 Yds: measured on the Edge of the Bank from the Extremity of the SE Boundary.Authorship is unknown however handwritten information reads: “Left by Col. Pilkington on his going to Gibraltar 1818.”Scale: 200 feet to 1 inch ; [1:2,400]Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-11397Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University. Map image in JPEG format.Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 1673.