Plan shewing the Ground Proposed to be Reserved for Government, and situation for the Barracks and Stores at the entrance of the Chippewa Creek
Gother Mann, 1747-1830.
Thomas Ridout, d. 1829.
S. P.(Samuel Proundfoot) Hurd, b. 1793.
MetadataShow full item record
Historic map showing the land adjacent to Chippewa Creek, where the creek meets the Niagara River. North is oriented to the right and the Niagara River is shown at east. This area of land was reserved by the government for military forts. On the north side of Chippewa Creek, a boundary line can be seen: “Boundary of the Land prepared to be Reserved for Government.” Within this boundary is a military fort, a wharf, the King’s store house, and a proposed merchants store house and wharf. Also of note is an Indian burial ground located directly beside the proposed merchants store. A road runs along the shore of the Niagara River towards Chippewa Creek. Outside of the boundary lines are other buildings sectioned portions of land. On the south side of Chippewa Creek is a similar section of land that had been reserved for the government. A bridge over Chippewa Creek connects the north and south portions of land. Written text at the right side of the map serves as a “Licence of Occupation” granted to Wm. Smith, 14 April 1819, signed by T. Ridout. It also provides further information about the land, its occupation and measurements related to significant features of the plan. Relief is shown by shading. The plan is signed by the author: "J.G.G. 16 April 1835 (signed) S.P. Hurd". A second signature: "(Certified as a true copy) T.G.W. Eaststaff".Authorship indicated: Gother Mann, Thomas Ridout, Samuel Proundfoot Hurd.Scale: 1 inch to 100 feet ; [1:1,200]Digital reproduction: Library and Archives Canada, National Map Collection: NMC-3637. Map image in JPEG format. Digital image from the CD-ROM entitled "Historic maps of the Niagara Peninsula from 1787-1864, acquired 2005" available in the Map, Data and GIS Library at call number Map PC G 3462 N53 1864 L53 2005.Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winearls. 1991. Reference no.: 1252.